Sunday, February 19, 2012

Doodles Unleashed - Lesson 4































The fourth and final lesson of the online Strathmore workshop, Doodles Unleashed by Traci Bautista, was Stylized Faces Part 2. This lesson involved painting a "glam girl" on the background created in lesson three. I opted to paint a new background for this lesson since I didn't really want to paint over the backgrounds I had already made.




























I'm not a huge fan of the "glam girl" style and wasn't sure if I'd even be able to complete this final lesson at all. I tend to shy away from painting or drawing people altogether due to an extreme lack of practice in this area. I was pleasantly surprised with the way my girl turned out, so maybe this an area I'll explore further some time in the future.
























I'd like to point out a simple item which I discovered makes a rather nice art tool. The large stamped image above was made using a common household product that you would probably never think to include with your art supplies. Know what it is? Give up? It's a plastic fly swatter!!! Don't worry though--the handle broke off before it ever had a chance to swat a single fly. But doesn't it make a great stamp and stencil? It just goes to show that art tools can be found anywhere.

I really enjoyed working along with this online workshop. Thank you Traci for inspiring me to add a few more tools and techniques to my doodling tool kit. I still have a few more doodles from this workshop to share with you and I may try to complete a few more before the next workshop begins in March. The next workshop is Watercolor Sketching with Cathy Johnson. You can still sign up if that sounds like something that appeals to you.

Happy doodling!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great creative tool. Love the turquoise/blue flowing hair. Always pays to look around and see what you might craft with you never though of before. xox Corrine

Unknown said...

I just love this! Very clever idea using the swatter. Your colors are amazing.